More updates… What about FPS 6.x?
According to The Forest Biometrics Research Institute (FBRI) The Forest Projection and Planning System (FPS) Version 6.99 and less has reached end of support / life. What does this mean? This means that FBRI will no longer be supporting any version of FPS 6 or before. This includes providing the software.
How does that affect you? Possibly does not. Most people seem to have updates to some flavor of FPS 7.x. Currently 184.108.40.206. This is good as when Microsoft pushes updates this has caused problems and several modules in version 6 were updated in version 7.
Upgrading not an option? Here is what the FSD Support Penguins suggest.
- Backup your current working version of FPS!
- Find your original installation media / files for your current version.
- Backup your original media / files.
- Backup your library.
This will allow a few things.
- The version of FPS that you are currently running will expire 10 years from the date of install. You will be able to re-install from these files.
- Something goes horrifically wrong you can recover.
Should you upgrade to version 7 of FPS? FBRI would say yes! Depending on your use FSD would also suggest trying version 7 if you have access to it. There are many improvements. But there is something to be said for not breaking what is working for your organization.
Need support for FPS version 6? Contact Free State Drivers for continues support as possible. Again FBRI is not supporting this so if something really breaks there may be no solution.